The Partner Assault Response (PAR) Program is a domestic violence, court initiative that delivers specialized, community-based, group education/counselling programming to domestic violence offenders. The PAR program gives offenders the opportunity to examine their beliefs and learn non-abusive ways of resolving conflicts, as part of the court or probation conditions. Through this program, our staff also offer support to the victim(s) of the domestic violence.
How it works:
The 12-session program provides offenders with an opportunity to:
- Examine their beliefs and attitudes towards domestic abuse
- Realize they are not alone, that others also face challenges resolving conflicts
- Become more aware of their own thoughts, feelings, moods and needs
- Begin to recognize the effect of these in their daily life
- Understand that they can learn new ways to handle arising issues
- Learn non-abusive ways of resolving conflict
- Exercise responsibility and accountability for their choices
Supporting the Offenders’ victim and/or current partner
Throughout the duration of the program, we also provide victims and/or current partners with:
- Safety support, counselling and planning
- Referrals to community resources
- Regular updates on the offender’s progress
Domestic violence offenders who have been mandated by the court to attend
Referrals to this program are required as a result of a court order or probation officer
Participants are required to complete the 12-session program as part of their court or probation conditions.
How Support Services Work
Our Professional Support Staff will
- Talk privately with people about concerns
- Decide what issues to work on together
- Provide advice, advocacy and professional support to manage concerns
- Connect people with other community agencies, as needed
- Help deal with any new issues that may arise
- Help people cope with changes in life
Our Professional Support Staff
- Can support people as they work on a wide range of concerns
- Focus on growth, development and independence
- Facilitate overall well-being and resilience
- Have a broad range of clinical expertise and real-life experience
How much will it cost?
Most of our Support Services are free, unless otherwise indicated by the specific program. Donations for Support Services are very welcomed. Donations help us continue our important, local work. Make a donation to our Support Services today.